Over 50,000 people play BSSC sports annually, making BSSC the largest sports club in the greater Boston area.
Enhanced Safety Protocols
- BSSC Program Managers will send captains all the key information needed on the league (i.e. safety policies, game rules, facility info, etc).
- Captains must submit a COMPLETE AND ACCURATE roster of all the players who may be playing on their team this season. This is a critical tool for contact tracing, so this requirement must be taken seriously for the good of our community effectiveness against the spread of COVID-19.
- Before a person can play in the league, they must be on the team roster and have submitted a signed (print or digital) waiver of liability. These forms will be emailed by the BSSC program manager or captains to the players on the roster.
- Team supplies (i.e. shirts, ball, bases) will be assembled at the BSSC office by BSSC staff who have taken measures to reduce contamination (i.e. wearing face covering and gloves). Supplies will be placed in a plastic bag and as usual, most will be delivered to teams at the field. If a team needs to pick up their supplies (i.e. softball, 11 v 11 soccer), they may make an appointment for curbside pickup at the BSSC office.
- To allow maximum flexibility for the summer session, team rosters will remain open and league schedules will be posted weekly rather than having a set schedule.
- To participate, players must show no signs or symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days. Captains will be reminded before each game to confirm that all their players are free of symptoms. COVID-19 symptoms include cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, diarrhea, feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater or equal to 100.4.
- To participate, players coming from outside Massachusetts, must follow all quarantine and/or testing requirements provided in the Massachusetts COVID-19 Travel Order.
- Any players added to the roster during the season must be on the team’s official digital roster and have a signed waiver on file.
- All players must achieve proper hand hygiene both before entering and exiting the field/facility, either through hand washing with soap and water or by using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. We recommend that each team have their own supply of hand sanitizer, and BSSC representatives will also have a supply onsite.
- Players must remain in their vehicles until five minutes before their scheduled start time. League schedules will allow for buffer time to minimize player crossover.
- Players should arrive to the playing area dressed in their gear and fully prepared to play.
- No spectators are allowed for any part of any games.
- Players should adhere to the signage located on the premises which may mark things such as one-way entrances, one-way exits, social distance spacing, etc.
- Congregating of any kind at the field or in the parking lots (even with face coverings) is discouraged.
- Whenever possible, teams should position themselves on opposite sides of the field. Use of structured dugouts, benches or bleachers is prohibited.
- Teams must use the same sideline area for the duration of the game.
- Players who help set up or take down game equipment (i.e. goals, scoreboards, volleyball nets) must clean their hands and the equipment before and after handling.
- Players must use their own food/water and personal equipment. Items including, but not limited to, gloves, masks, helmets, goggles, shin guards, pads, and footwear must not be shared.
- Players who use any shared team equipment (i.e. bats) must clean the equipment after each use.
- Game balls should be sanitized at logical intervals. See “Sports Specific Policies & Procedures” below.
- Players must refrain from spitting, tobacco and gum chewing and should cover their coughs and sneezes with a tissue or elbow.
- It is recommended that players frequently sanitize their hands throughout their game.
- Players must pay the official fees through Venmo.
- Any pre-game discussion will be done only with the official and one team representative from each team with at least 6 feet of distancing.
- If a question needs to be asked of an official during a game, only a captain can approach the official.
- Face coverings and social distancing of six feet are required when participants are not actively engaged in game play. This includes entering, exiting, walking around the premises, team huddles, and standing on the sidelines.
- See "Sports Specific Policies & Procedures" below for rules on face coverings during play.
- If a player begins to feel ill with COVID-19 symptoms during the game, they should immediately leave the game and premises.
- Players, coaches and staff should refrain from high fives, handshake lines, and other physical contact with teammates, opposing teams, coaches, staff and umpires. For end of the game sportsmanship, we recommend that each team return to their sideline and give a shout out of “Good Game” with a wave or hat tip.
- There is a “leave no trace policy.” All players must be sure to clean every trace of belongings and trash from their field and sidelines before they leave.
- All players must leave the field immediately after their game concludes. Personal items left at the field will be disposed of.
- Every captain must submit their game result and that night’s roster of players (last names) to BSSC.
- All players should take care to thoroughly clean their gear (i.e. masks, mouth guards, football flag belts, pads, bats, bases, etc.) after play.
- If a player tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of having played in a BSSC league, we ask that they notify their BSSC Program Manager by email as soon as possible.
- If informed of a positive COVID-19 test, BSSC will follow the disclosure and contact tracing protocols of the state, county, city and facility. Any communication required of BSSC will be handled in accordance with health regulations and will ensure the confidentiality of the identity of the reporting person.
- If a player tests positive for COVID-19, they should follow the protocols regarding quarantine and contact tracing from the department of health. Teams should inform BSSC if they are unable to play due to COVID-19 cases or concerns.
- BSSC representatives (i.e. staff, officials, scorekeepers, coordinators) will be present during games to ensure players’ adherence to safety protocols. If a player is found in violation of any of these standards, it is grounds for immediate dismissal from the game and possible further disciplinary action as determined by BSSC without refund. Please cooperate with all BSSC representatives as they remind you of safety protocol requirements and suggestions. All are intended for the well-being of our players, staff and entire community
- As noted in the waiver, it is important to highlight again that, while BSSC is following the standards set by the Commonwealth, in its policies and practices designed to reduce the risk of exposure/contracting COVID-19, BSSC is not able to guarantee that players will not be exposed to, or contract, COVID-19 either in connection with their participation, or other aspects of life. Each player should make the decision best for them regarding their participation.
- These policies and procedures will be adjusted as necessary to stay up to date with regulations and best practices.
- Players should sanitize their hands up on entering the facility as well as when leaving.
- Teams should go to the outside right of the court to switch sides.
- There will be no house warm-up balls.
- Work teams must use voice commands or electronic whistles to officiate the game.
- Face coverings must be worn at all times including players not currently playing and work teams.
BSSC has 50 years of experience of being Boston's Way to Play! BSSC participants will continue to have access to the best events, sports leagues, ski trips and adventure travel in New England. Create your account to join in today!Create your Account
Invalid credentials provided